Using the search bar on Facebook
You can search for people, posts, photos, places, Pages, Groups, apps and events on Facebook using the search bar. The Search bar is located in the upper left of any Facebook pages. Start searching with keywords (ex: Carol wedding) and you'll see a list of results that you can filter. You can also combine phrases together, or add things like locations, times, likes and interests to get more specific (ex: friends who live in San Francisco).
You see unique search results based on:
- Your connections to people, places, things.
- What you're able to see on Facebook, including what your friends share with you.
- Your friends, connections and interests, which affect the order of your results.
- People's privacy settings. For example, if you search "photo Paris," you may see photos your friends took and shared with you first.
You may see results from people you're not friends with because you're part of the audience for the post. Keep in mind that public posts are visible to everyone, including people outside of Facebook.
Your recent searches will also appear when you enter something into the Facebook search bar. Your search history helps Facebook show you better results. Remember, only you can see your searches.
To clear your recent searches:
- Click the search bar at the top to see your recent searches.
- Click Edit in the top right of the dropdown menu.
- Click Clear Searches in the top right, then click to confirm.
Note: If your searches still appear after taking these steps, you may have to log out out of Facebook. When you log back in, your searches will be cleared.